Football Feb 16, 2026

Thomas Tuchel: England boss signs contract extension until 2028

👤
By Admin
Sports Journalist
Thomas Tuchel: England boss signs contract extension until 2028

Thomas Tuchel has signed a contract extension to keep him as England head coach through to the end of Euro 2028.

The FA announced on Thursday the German was set to stay on, with his previous deal only running until the end of this summer's World Cup.

Tuchel said: "I am very happy and proud to extend my time with England.

"It is no secret to anyone that I have loved every minute so far of working with my players and coaches, and I cannot wait to lead them to the World Cup.

"It is an incredible opportunity and we are going to do our very best to make the country proud."

The timing of Tuchel's extension is interesting given the clubs potentially looking for a new manager in the summer, including Manchester United.

The FA said the agreement with Tuchel, who has been linked with the manager's job at Old Trafford, would provide "clarity and full focus" on the World Cup, in the hope the extension will silence talk around his future which could otherwise prove a distraction.

The FA said Tuchel's main backroom team - Anthony Barry, Henrique Hilario, Nico Mayer and James Melbourne - have also agreed extensions through to the end of Euro 2028.

Tuchel added: "I have had so much support from [FA chief executive] Mark [Bullingham], all my colleagues at the FA and from fans wherever I go that I did not hesitate when asked to continue in this dream job.

"Euro 2028 will be a very special tournament and as a coach there is nothing more you want than to compete with the very best on the biggest possible stage."

FA CEO Mark Bullingham added: "I am delighted Thomas has committed to stay with us through to the Euros in 2028. He was the right person for the job when he joined us for the World Cup campaign, and has only strengthened his reputation across the qualifiers. We know the players are right behind him, and the togetherness within the group is there for all to see.

"There is simply no better candidate available in world football. With his big-game experience, knowledge and passion, he gives the squad the very best chance for success - this summer and with the once-in-a generation EURO being hosted on these shores in two years' time.

"In Thomas, Anthony and the wider team, we have a perfect blend of English coaching and international expertise. Their full focus remains on doing as well as possible this summer, and by securing them early for 2028, we have taken away the potential distraction of contract renegotiations around the tournament."

Bullingham went on to reveal there are "performance conditions" connected to Tuchel staying on as England head coach beyond the World Cup, but did not disclose if there was a break clause at the end of this summer's finals.

There has been criticism of the decision to renew before the World Cup, rather than letting the tournament play out, but Bullingham said it was not "realistic" to let the contract expire.

Asked what would happen if England had a disastrous World Cup, Bullingham told reporters at the UEFA Congress in Brussels: "We've appointed him with a view to him being our coach for 2028. Every single person has performance conditions in their contract, you wouldn't expect me to go into those.

"I've got them as well, but we're really clear that we want him coaching us in 2028."

Bullingham said he would "not go into" whether the new agreement contained a post-World Cup break clause.

Asked why the FA had not waited and made a decision after the World Cup, Bullingham replied: "I just don't think that's realistic. When you look at anyone in any business on a fixed-term contract, clearly when you get to the end of that fixed-term contract, they will already be considering their future.

"From our point of view, we felt like we had a world-class coach doing a really good job for us and we wanted him to carry on."

Tuchel, who is due to attend the Nations League draw in Brussels on Thursday, was confirmed as the successor to Gareth Southgate in October 2024.

His focus will now be on this summer's World Cup in North America.

In his first interview, he stated his aim was to add a "second star" to the England shirt by winning the 2026 World Cup in North America.

His England team cruised through qualification, winning all eight matches in a group which featured Albania, Serbia, Latvia and Andorra.

England will then start their group stage campaign on Wednesday, June 17 against Croatia, before facing Ghana and Panama in their other group matches later in June.

Your Site News' Chief Correspondent Kaveh Solhekol:

"From the FA's perspective, waiting until after the World Cup would have been problematic.

"There would have been questions from the media about Tuchel's future. How could England have had a successful campaign if it is going to be dominated by speculation over Tuchel's future?

"There are so many jobs available and Tuchel is a man in demand, so the FA think they are being clever in tying him to a new deal now.

"The only thing I'd say is we've been down this road before with the FA.

"Before the 2014 World Cup they gave Fabio Capello a new contract because Inter Milan were trying to appoint him, and then they had a disastrous tournament and were stuck with Capello.

"It is a risky move what they are doing but at the moment, they think it is worth the risk."

Tags:

football news

Share this article

Related Posts

Liverpool vs Man City VAR intervention to disallow Rayan Cherki goal and send off Dominik Szoboszlai ruined golden moment, says Gary Neville

Liverpool vs Man City VAR intervention to disallow Rayan Cherki goal and send off Dominik Szoboszlai ruined golden moment, says Gary Neville

Gary Neville says the decision to overturn Rayan Cherki's late goal from the halfway line in Manchester City's win over Liverpool erased one of the mo...

Scotland Women: Real Madrid's Caroline Weir named captain with Chelsea's Erin Cuthbert appointed vice-captain

Scotland Women: Real Madrid's Caroline Weir named captain with Chelsea's Erin Cuthbert appointed vice-captain

Caroline Weir has been named Scotland Women's captain on a permanent basis.The Real Madrid midfielder has played 115 times for her country and replace...

Rangers vs Celtic: Martin O'Neill wants full ticket allocation for fans ahead of Old Firm Scottish Cup match at Ibrox

Rangers vs Celtic: Martin O'Neill wants full ticket allocation for fans ahead of Old Firm Scottish Cup match at Ibrox

Martin O'Neill wants Celtic to get the full ticket allocation they are entitled to for their upcoming cup tie at Rangers.The Scottish Cup quarter-fina...

Aberdeen: Eirik Horneland leading contender to land Pittodrie job as ex-Saint-Etienne boss impresses Dons

Aberdeen: Eirik Horneland leading contender to land Pittodrie job as ex-Saint-Etienne boss impresses Dons

Former Saint-Etienne boss Eirik Horneland is the leading contender for the Aberdeen managerial vacancy. It's understood that the 50-year-old has impre...

Eirik Horneland: Aberdeen close to appointing ex-Saint-Etienne boss as Tony Docherty returns to Dons

Eirik Horneland: Aberdeen close to appointing ex-Saint-Etienne boss as Tony Docherty returns to Dons

Aberdeen are close to appointing Eirik Horneland as their new head coach, but may have to wait until the summer. It is believed the situation with the...

Rangers transfer news: How Ibrox side went about January transfer window and who was involved to boost Scottish Premiership title bid

Rangers transfer news: How Ibrox side went about January transfer window and who was involved to boost Scottish Premiership title bid

Rangers knew the January transfer window was crucial if they were to have any chance in this title race.In truth, it is a fight they didn't expect to...